Friday, November 09, 2007

What's in a name?

Thomasville Furniture has a product line called Wanderlust.

It seems you can deck your entire house with its daring, adventurous rusticity.

But Wanderlust (from the German, of course) is a strong, perhaps irresistible urge to travel. So if one truly had Wanderlust, one should not care about the furniture in one's house, for one would not want to be in the house very often. Therefore: why name a domestic product after a concept which is in itself a rejection of domesticity?

In other nomenclative news, the other day I spied a motor home with an awesome name: The Intruder. Thankfully this model appears to have been discontinued last year--perhaps on account of its name. I mean, everyone knows motor homes are really big, but the last time I checked, responsible travel didn't include intrusion.

2 comments:

Lavender said...

Perhaps they are targeting those of us who would absolutely LOVE to be able to travel, but lack the financial and time commitments necessary to do so. :-) After all, I would SO be touring the hot art spots of Europe, the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, and all of Japan if I could.

Rach said...

Hey Gerb,

Thought you'd like to know that I added you to my blog roll!
:D

Rach