Thursday, May 17, 2007

I can't believe I'm blogging about this

Paris Hilton's psychiatrist, Charles Sophy, says she's "emotionally distraught and traumatized" from receipt of a 45-day jail sentence.

I could go on a snarky little rant to the effect of "oh, how traumatic it is to be held accountable for one's actions." But I'm not going to go there.

Instead, I ask: Did Dr. Sophy obtain permission from Paris to release information about her mental state, or even to acknowledge that she is receiving treatment from him? Did she consent to the disclosure of the length of her treatment by Dr. Sophy (apparently, 8 months)? Did he specify the reason for the disclosure in his request? Did he discuss with her the possible risks and benefits of his report?

The story here is drawn from "court papers," which I guess are a matter of public record unless marked otherwise. But it seems to me to be a giant violation of Paris Hilton's privacy for the Associated Press to distribute her personal health information--her own historical lack of concern for privacy notwithstanding.

4 comments:

Lavender said...

You raise a good point. HIPPA rules proly have him in violation one way or another. However, I dislike Paris enough to be more amused than concerned for her.

Anonymous said...

Only you would be thinking this. :) It made me smile though. -Kara

Anonymous said...

even shrink rap didn't sink this low.....

Gerbil said...

Dinah, perhaps not in deed, but I bet Roy thought about it at least once ;)