Thursday, May 31, 2007

Qualifications

nun dollsI am considering applying for a job in a Catholic health system. The online application system won't let me fill anything out until I swear (in electronic form) that, if hired, I will act in such a way which is consistent with their mission statement. Which, naturally, contains lots and lots of references to specific beliefs.

This seemed a little too much like a credal oath to me, and out of place for a self-professed equal opportunity employer. So I emailed them to inquire exactly what it means to endorse this statement.

girl with menorahI spent a long, long time crafting my email. I hemmed and hawed over whether I should describe myself as "not Catholic" or "not religious"; or whether I should leave my own beliefs out of it altogether.

Mrs. Gerbil found it amusing that I'd spent so much time wordsmithing. Her suggestion: "Will godless Jews be considered for this position? Please advise."

1 comment:

Lea said...

I'm thinking that Mrs. Gerbil's choice of words will quickly seal the deal for you!

Your journey to employment by the Catholics will be so amusing for your faithful blog readers. Please document your progress and good luck.